The full form of XML is Extensible Markup Language. XML is a type of markup language and is used to store and organize data. As you know HTML is also a markup language but it is used to display the data in the webpage. The way of writing code in XML is exactly the same as in HTML. Tags are used in both HTML and XML.
Using different tags in HTML, it is described how the contents of the page (such as text, images etc.) will be displayed on the user's screen, whereas in XML, data is stored and managed using tags.
Use of XML
- XML is used to store data.
- Its main job is to keep the data separate from the presentation. With this, that data can be easily shown in different formats in different places.
- XML is mostly used in conjunction with HTML where XML stores data and HTML serves to show that data in the form of a table or in some other format.
- XML can be used as a database in an application, program or software.
- Web developers can use XML files to create dynamic content and display it through different style sheets.
- It is also used for data transfer between different programs.
- XML is used in many organizations to exchange data among themselves.